Proper attire is essential when it comes to riding safely and comfortably on a motorcycle. In this article, I’m going to share my insights and tips on what to wear when riding a motorcycle.
Before we get into the specifics of what to wear, let me first emphasize the importance of protective gear. Motorcycling can be dangerous, and proper gear can make all the difference in the event of an accident. Protective gear not only protects your skin and bones, but it can also keep you warm and dry, making for a more comfortable ride.
Pro Tip: Always invest in high-quality motorcycle gear, even if it means spending a little extra money. Good gear not only protects you in case of an accident but can also make your riding experience more comfortable and enjoyable. Remember, safety should always come first when riding a motorcycle.
Wear When Riding a Motorcycle
The most important piece of gear you’ll wear when riding a motorcycle is the helmet. In fact, it’s required by law in many states. When choosing a helmet, look for one that meets safety standards and fits properly. A good helmet should be snug but not too tight, and cover your forehead, cheeks, and chin (check out main types of motorcycle helmets).
If you wear motorcycle helmets:
If a helmet is worn while riding a motorcycle, it provides protection to the rider’s head in the event of an accident. A helmet can greatly reduce the risk of head injury or even death, as it absorbs the impact and spreads it over a larger area. Wearing a helmet is a crucial safety measure that every motorcyclist should take seriously.
Explore the top-notch techniques for putting your motorcycle helmet when your vehicle is safely parked.
Shoei RF-1200 helmet meets safety standards and has a compact design that covers the forehead, cheeks, and chin. It also has an advanced ventilation system that helps keep you cool while riding.
If you don’t wear motorcycle helmets:
On the other hand, if a helmet is not worn while riding, the rider is at a much higher risk of sustaining a serious head injury in the event of an accident. Without a helmet, the rider’s head is completely exposed to impact, and even a minor collision can result in serious brain injury or even death. In many countries, it is also illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, and riders may face fines or other penalties if caught. Therefore, wearing a helmet is not only a matter of safety but also a legal requirement in many places.
A good motorcycle jacket is essential for protection from the elements and in the event of an accident. Look for a jacket made of abrasion-resistant material, such as leather or Kevlar. The jacket should fit snugly but allow for freedom of movement. It’s also a good idea to choose a jacket with reflective accents to increase visibility on the road.
Dainese Super Rider D-Dry Jacket is made of abrasion-resistant material and has removable elbow and shoulder protectors for added safety. The jacket also has a waterproof and breathable D-Dry membrane to keep you dry in wet weather, while still allowing for ventilation. Additionally, the jacket has reflective inserts to increase visibility on the road. When choosing a motorcycle jacket, make sure to try on different sizes and styles to find the one that fits properly and feels comfortable.
If you wear motorcycle jackets:
If you wear a motorcycle jacket while riding, it provides protection to the rider’s upper body in the event of an accident. A jacket made specifically for motorcycle riding is designed to absorb impact, protect the rider’s skin from abrasions and road rash, and keep the rider warm and dry. It may also have additional features like padding and armor to protect the rider’s vital organs in the event of an accident. Wearing a jacket is an important safety measure that can greatly reduce the risk of injury in the event of a crash.
If you don’t wear motorcycle jackets:
On the other hand, if you don’t wear a motorcycle jacket while riding, the rider’s upper body is completely exposed to the elements and any potential impact. In the event of an accident, the rider’s skin can be severely damaged, and the rider may experience serious cuts, bruises, and road rash. Moreover, the rider may be susceptible to hypothermia in colder temperatures or sunburn in warmer temperatures. Therefore, wearing a motorcycle jacket is important not only for protection but also for comfort and overall riding experience.
Wearing proper pants when riding a motorcycle is important for protection and comfort. Look for pants made of abrasion-resistant materials like leather, Kevlar, or denim. Avoid loose-fitting pants that can get caught on the bike, and choose pants that fit snugly and allow for ease of movement. Some pants also come with built-in knee and hip pads for added protection.
REV’IT! Lombard 3 jeans are made of abrasion-resistant Cordura denim and have Kevlar reinforcements in high impact areas. The pants also have CE-certified knee protectors and pockets for hip protectors. They are designed to fit snugly and provide ease of movement while riding. When choosing motorcycle pants, make sure to consider the materials, fit, and added protection features to ensure maximum safety and comfort.
If you wear motorcycle pants:
- Protection: Motorcycle pants can provide abrasion resistance, impact protection, and weather protection.
- Comfort: Some motorcycle pants are designed to provide better comfort, breathability, and flexibility.
- Style: Motorcycle pants are designed to look stylish and complement the overall riding gear.
If you don’t wear motorcycle pants:
- Risk of injury: In case of an accident or crash, the rider’s legs are more exposed to injuries such as abrasions, cuts, and bruises.
- Weather discomfort: Without pants, the rider may feel uncomfortable due to wind chill, rain, or hot temperatures.
- Legal issues: In some areas, it is mandatory to wear motorcycle pants or other protective gear while riding.
When it comes to footwear, choose boots that are sturdy and cover your ankles. Look for boots made of abrasion-resistant materials like leather, and with non-slip soles for grip on the footpegs. It’s also a good idea to choose boots with extra protection in the toe and heel areas.
TCX Fuel WP Boots are made of abrasion-resistant leather and have a waterproof membrane to keep your feet dry in wet weather. The boots also have a reinforced heel and toe area for added protection and a non-slip sole for a secure grip on the footpegs. Additionally, they have a zippered closure for easy on and off. When choosing motorcycle boots, make sure to select ones that provide adequate protection and comfort for your feet while riding.
If you wear motorcycle boots:
Wearing motorcycle boots provides several benefits to riders. Here are some reasons why it’s important to wear them while riding:
- Protection: Motorcycle boots provide protection to the feet, ankles, and lower legs in case of an accident or fall. They are designed to withstand impact, abrasion, and other potential hazards on the road. Without them, the feet and legs are vulnerable to injuries.
- Traction: Motorcycle boots have a special sole that provides good traction on various surfaces, including wet and slippery roads. This helps riders maintain control of their bike, especially during sudden stops or turns.
- Comfort: Wearing comfortable and supportive footwear is important for long rides. Motorcycle boots are designed to provide ample support and cushioning to the feet, reducing fatigue and discomfort.
- Weather protection: Motorcycle boots are also designed to protect the feet from the elements, such as rain, wind, and cold. This helps keep the feet warm and dry, making the ride more comfortable.
If you don’t wear motorcycle boots:
Not wearing proper boots while riding can result in several issues such as injuries, discomfort, and reduced control over the motorcycle. Therefore, it’s important to invest in a good pair of motorcycle boots to ensure safety and comfort while riding.
Gloves are important for protecting your hands from the wind and weather, as well as in the event of an accident. Look for gloves made of abrasion-resistant materials, and with extra padding on the palms for grip. Gloves should fit snugly but allow for dexterity in your fingers.
Alpinestars SP-8 V2 Gloves are made of abrasion-resistant full-grain leather and have an ergonomic design for maximum comfort and dexterity. The gloves also have a carbon fiber knuckle guard and extra padding on the palms for added protection and grip. Additionally, the gloves have a Velcro closure for a secure and adjustable fit. When choosing motorcycle gloves, make sure to select ones that provide adequate protection and comfort for your hands while riding.
If you wear motorcycle gloves:
- Protection against cuts and scrapes in case of an accident
- Increased grip on the handlebars, preventing slippage and improving control
- Protection against the elements, such as wind, rain, and cold temperatures
- Reduced fatigue and vibration, making the ride more comfortable
- Improved visibility, with many gloves featuring reflective materials
If you don’t wear motorcycle gloves:
- Cuts, scrapes, and other injuries to the hands in case of an accident
- Reduced grip on the handlebars, which can lead to slippage and loss of control
- Exposure to the elements, which can cause discomfort and distraction while riding
- Increased fatigue and vibration, which can make the ride less comfortable and more dangerous
- Reduced visibility, as the hands are less visible to other drivers and riders on the road.
Q1: What should do you wear when riding a motorcycle in the summer?
A1: When riding a motorcycle in the summer, it’s important to wear lightweight and breathable clothing that can provide protection from the sun and heat. Consider wearing a mesh jacket, protective gloves, jeans or riding pants, and sturdy boots. Don’t forget to wear a helmet that provides adequate ventilation.
Q2: What should do you wear when riding a motorcycle in cold weather?
A2: When riding a motorcycle in cold weather, it’s important to wear layers of clothing that can provide insulation and protect you from wind chill. Consider wearing a thermal base layer, a windproof and waterproof jacket, insulated gloves, thick pants or riding pants, and waterproof boots. Don’t forget to wear a full-face helmet with a visor to protect your face from wind and cold.
Conclusion: Ride Safe and Comfortably
In conclusion, wearing proper gear when riding a motorcycle is crucial for safety and comfort. Always wear a helmet that meets safety standards and fits properly. Choose a jacket, pants, boots, and gloves made of abrasion-resistant materials, and with added protection in key areas. And remember, safety should always be a top priority when riding a motorcycle.